Signs of Abuse
- Not being able to use the telephone.
- Being forbidden to see family and friends without the other partner present.
- Not being allowed to participate in making household decisions, including financial decisions.
- Frequent bruises or other physical injuries.
- Not being allowed to learn to drive, go to school, or get/ keep a job.
- Exhibits low self-esteem, poor self-concept; may avoid eye contact, looking away or at the ground when talking.
- Complains of non-specific aches and pains that are constant and recurring, and may be stress-related problems, such as migraine headaches, high blood pressure, or gastrointestinal problems.